My Little Picasso's

My Little Picasso's

Monday, February 25, 2013

They're just kids.

But are they really?  Just kids?  Aren't they little mini me's.  Aren't they a reflection of us, or in this very personal case, my husband and I?  I truly admit as a teacher that when I see unacceptable behavior from one of my many young, not adult, charges on a daily basis, I bite my tongue from saying, "Does your mom let you talk like that?"  "Do you kiss your mommy with that mouth?"  And my favorite, "Really?!  Your parents let you act this way?"  Because, guess what world, now a days the answer is most likely going to be YES. 

****Disclaimer****  I am saying most of the time people, because there does still exist the children who I believe have been taught respect, politeness, shame, responsibility, and accountability. 

I "disclaim" because I am hoping my children are in this group and I am not ggetting a phone call one day that put them in the group described above.

Michael and I struggle on a daily basis with our two.  They do not listen.  They are mean to each other.  They hit each other.  They hit us.  They tell us NO.  They scream.  They have tantrums.  We try to remain calm.  We try to punish with dignity, with consistency, with results.  Let me tell you, this does not always happen.  We can lose our cool and then the POWER STRUGGLE begins.  If you show them weakness, a.k.a. losing your cool, they know they have you.  It doesn't change with teenagers.

I know my children are 1 1/2 and 3.  I know theya re little toddlers who are meant to test you.  But how much longer can I go on and simply reassure myself that they're kids and all kids are like this at some stage and it will improve.

I have a new found realisation for those parents who I know have tried.  Who I know are still trying.  Beacuse I am trying and still trying too.

February 25th, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment